Sunday 22 April 2012

Sky high



I'm a bit of an adrenaline junkie and generally have a high tolerance for the extreme. I was a little out of my depth this time though.
We had lunch in the sky this weekend. It's a global craze that apparently originated in Belgium. Diners get hoisted in the air by a crane.
 
 
 
 
There were 22 of us hovering 40 metres above Cedar square. The weather was glorious and sunny and our table was rotated occasionally, allowing us to take in all the beautiful Jozi skyline. I couldn't really sit back and relax as all I kept thinking of dropping and my insides splattering...ok.. I was really nervous.






 
 
Our first and second courses were plated before we took off. We were served chicken involtini(pan fried and rolled chicken breasts stuffed with  parma ham, smoked mozzarella and basil), crushed potato and napoletana sauce (it was a little underwhelming). Not sure what I was expecting but it wasn't great. Dessert made up for it though. My food buddy and I are allergic to nuts so they went out of their way to serve us an alternative to the tiramisu which had nut traces. We were served a beautifully moist and soft caramel cake. Put a smile on my face and made me forget all about the first course.
 
 
 
 
We spent the rest of the time in the sky having drinks and taking in the scenery. Pure bliss...:-)
 
 

2 comments:

Anibug said...

Okay seriously, we have to get together.
Food, Baking, Photography, Adrenaline.. what else do we have in common?

Creepy. And ridiculously awesome. I want to try food in the sky! It looks like so much fun :D

Lightly Salted said...

:-) Hey Anibug

It was scary but good fun. It's happening until the 29th so you should give it a go.

I'm still working on our get-together idea and will drop you an email soon

Happy Monaday :-)